Saturday, May 26, 2007

1st step: Buy the House

I am currently in the process of submitting a bid to buy the house pictured above. This would be a whole lot simpler were it not for the fact that I plan to get a building loan to finance the renovations. In order to acquire such a loan I must list what I am going to do to the house and get estimates for the work. Though I plan to do most of the work myself, the bank wants to know that, in the event that I get injured prior to the projects completion, I have sufficient funds to complete the project. One thing I must keep in mind as I put together my estimates, any work that I say I am going to do will have to be done before the bank considers the project complete. Example: If I say I am going to install crown molding throughout the house but decide later that that is overkill, I’m still going to have to put it up. I can add things that add value but can’t remove such things. Needless to say I still have a great deal of work to complete before I am able to even put an offer on the table.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! What an excited project! Mind if I link you at the mercied?